Trustees minutes

Minutes of the Board of Trustees
Hartland Public Library
October 3, 2018

Present: Wayne Libby, Chairperson; Beth Clark, Secretary; John Clark, Treasurer; Nick Berry, Librarian; Helene Libby; Elwin Littlefield; Kathy Kimball; Helen Gallagher; Rusty Wilson and Donna Dyrek. Excused: Mark Brooks.

Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 6:34 pm by Chairperson Wayne Libby. Rusty Wilson was introduced and welcomed as a new trustee.

Secretarys Report: See attached. The secretarys report was approved as presented. Sympathy cards on behalf of the Board were sent to Lisa Bergmans husband and family and to the Randletts. Thank you notes were sent to the Outlook Club for the $180 donation from their yard sale and to Roberta McGee for the donation of 35 puppets to the library.

Treasurers Report: See attached. We have not yet received the money from the town, but are solvent at this time. John will contact Chris Littlefield after the special town meeting to determine when that money will be received.

Librarians Report: See attached. The Collection Development Plan and corrected Five Year Plan were sent to Wayne but were not available at the meeting. No librarian budget requests were submitted. Concern was expressed about having adequate chaperones for the adolescent Dungeon and Dragons group and perhaps having participants offer to bring refreshments for the adult group rather than taking it out of the programming budget in order to be consistent with other adult activities.

Friends of the Library: See attached. The annual meeting in on Thursday October 18 at 6:00 pm at the library. All are welcome to attend.

Committee Reports:

Library Inventory: Beth talked with Cross/Patriot Insurance. The library policy covers $570,000 of inventory. We could make an inventory list for our own use but the company usually does not require that any more. The time an inventory would be most important is if we had any valuable art work, chandeliers, documents, things that would be difficult to replace or other items of large value. They would have to be appraised. However, the agent did say that it might be helpful to do a video of items in the library and keep it on a flash drive in a separate place.

Grants: no applications are being pursued at this time.

Old Business:

Volunteer recognition: The recognition is Saturday, October 13th at 1:00 pm. Beth, Donna and Nick agreed to be on the committee. A list was circulated for food. Beth will purchase a fall centerpiece that will be given to Christie and have a leaf engraved for her as a 50 year trustee.

Bicentennial Celebration: See list of suggested activities from the April meeting minutes. A committee of interested trustees will be appointed at the January meeting.

New Board Members: Mark Brooks has agreed to join the Board but was not able to attend this evening due to a previous family commitment. Beth will send policies and other information to Mark.

New Business:

Proposed use of the School: Wayne shared a draft proposal from Chris Littlefield (see attached) and summarized the information that the Board officers and librarian received in their meeting with Chris There will be a special town meeting on Thursday, October 4 at 6:00 pm. No final decision will be made for a year.

No smoking policy. Our current policy lists “using tobacco in any form on library property” as a prohibited behavior. The question was raised about enforcing the policy,
especially when the library is not open. It was suggested the urn could be moved to the edge of the property and not next to the library bench. Beth will check with how the town handles smoking on town property. Healthy SV may be able to provide us with a no smoking sign.

New Circulation Desk: Nick explained his wishes and rationale for a new circulation area. He had talked with our area consultant from MSL and was given the names of some libraries that had custom work done. Holden Cabinetry and Millworks was one recommendation. Kathy suggested he consider other configurations such as having the circulation area nearer to the entrance and moving the juvenile collection. Elwin will connect Nick with someone who can help him draft out his ideas. It was recommended that we consider both our current location and a possible move to the old elementary school.

Next meeting: The meeting adjourned at 8:20 pm. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 6:30 pm at the library.

Respectfully Submitted, Beth Clark, Secretary